Cloud-based Security Service powered by Akamai Technologies, Inc.’s Enterprise Threat Protector.
MCNC’s DNS Security Filtering is a cloud-based security service powered by Akamai’s Enterprise Threat Protector platform. The service protects against malware, ransomware, phishing, and DNS data exfiltration by automatically checking requested domains against Akamai’s real-time domain risk scoring engine. Domains and IP addresses associated with malicious sites will not be resolved, preventing users from accessing the malicious sites.
Users of this service benefit by:
- Significantly improving security defenses by proactively blocking DNS requests to malware and ransomware drop sites, malware command and control (CnC) servers, and DNS data exfiltration and phishing domains based on unique and up-to-date threat intelligence.
- Instantly adding protection without complexity or hardware with a 100% cloud-based solution that can be configured and deployed in minutes (with no disruption for users) and rapidly scaled.
- Easily reducing management time by administering security policies and updates from anywhere in seconds to protect all locations.
- Quickly and uniformly enforcing compliance with their acceptable use policy by blocking access to objectionable or inappropriate domains and content categories.
- Immediately increasing DNS resilience and reliability with Akamai’s carrier- grade global intelligent platform.
Watch the archived video from the May 1, 2018 demo on the MCNC YouTube channel.
MCNC’s DNS Security Filtering service provides the following features:
- Recursive DNS Servers:
Distributed globally and deployed on Akamai’s Intelligent Platform, these servers are responsible for resolving all of the customer’s external DNS requests and providing exceptionally reliable and scalable recursive DNS service.
- Akamai’s Cloud Security Intelligence (CSI):
The CSI delivers up-to-date intelligence about malicious domains and the risk these domains present to the customer. This threat intelligence is built using insights gathered continuously from Akamai’s Intelligent Platform, including up to 30% of global web traffic and up to 150 billion daily DNS queries. As new threats are identified, they are immediately added to the service, delivering instant protection for our customers. In addition, CSI also uses offline behavioral analysis of customers’ DNS logs to identify if they may have been impacted by newly discovered threats. This helps reduce the identification time for new threats.
- Cloud Based Management Portal:
All configuration and ongoing management of this service is done through Akamai’s cloud-based Luna Portal, enabling management to be done from any location at any time. Users have access to policy management and a real-time a dashboard.
- Enterprise Client Connector:
A lightweight client that can be installed on Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOS laptops to provide DNS filtering protection when users are not connected to the organization’s network.
Eligibility and Requirements of Service:
Customer must be a public sector or non-profit organization in order to be eligible for this service.
Pricing is based on the customer's number of full-time employees. To inquire about new service, please submit a web request.
Terms & Conditions:
Please view our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
Technical support is available 24x7 by phone 877-GO-NCREN (877-466-2736) or by submitting a web request.