ISDN Dial-Up Sessions
This service provides our NCREN community the ability to bridge with sites securely and reliably across the globe. Some remote sites do not have IP-based video conferencing or do not use it for all connections. During these times, the NCREN user community can request an Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) connection that is established through NCREN Video Network Control. Dialups are video sessions that utilize NCREN’s Integrated Services Digital Network. NCREN provides point-to-point connections at rates up to 512k/bs.
ISDN is an international communications standard for sending voice, video, and data over digital telephone lines or normal telephone wires.
Requirements of Service:
The remote site must have video conferencing equipment that is configured to use an ISDN connection, and the ISDN connection must be active through the local telephone service provider. These components are in addition to normal production requirements for video conferencing. ISDN connections should be tested prior to its first use in a video session.
All rooms or sites that have not been previously connected to the NCREN Video Network must go through our Site Certification Test. This mandatory test must be performed prior to the ISDN Dial-Up session date. To schedule a test, please follow the procedures for submitting a Request for Service and complete the Site Certification Form. The Site Certification form must be completed and received prior to 4:00 p.m. on the day before test connection.
Eligibility & Pricing:
More information on eligibility and pricing can be obtained by submitting a Request for Service.
The rates below are separate from any other institution's individual fees and rates.
ISDN (at rates up to 512 Kb/s)
|each additional hour||$60/$60||$90/$90|
|MCNC Conference Room||$60/h||$90/h|
*Excludes International calls which can only be received.
Non-University clients/sessions incur an additional 10% over the total calculated from the rates on the page.
Charges include support for NCREN Video Network Control.
- Outside 4 business days: $60.00.
- Inside 4 business days: $60.00 +1/2 the total amount of Network Operations time scheduled.
- Other participating institutions may have cancellation fees. Check with each institution to confirm their policy and applicable fees.
- A non-refundable coordination fee of $60.00 is charged once the completed dialup form has been received.
- Minimum 1 hour charge for dialup sessions. Quarter hour charges thereafter.
- All client established sessions include 1/2 hour of billed setup/testing time.
- MCNC established calls will have a prorated 1/2 hour of billed set up time added to the invoice.
- Separate tests are billed at the rates above with a. Minimum of 1/2 hour charge.
- NCREN only provides point-to-point dialup connections.
- Other types of multipoint must use the gateway services on an institution that provides such service.
- Rates based on domestic sessions. Charges for international sessions may incur increased long distance charges.
- Dialup rates based on one person. Additional staff extra per quote.
- Network operations regular rate is $60.00/hour/person.
- Network operations overtime rate is $90.00/hour/person.
- Public Network charges determined after NCREN has been invoiced (generally 30-45 days).
- NCREN Dial = NCREN operations staff dials to the remote codec and NCREN absorbs long distance charges.
- Client Dial = Remote site dials to the NCREN codec and the remote site remote site absorbs the long distance charges.
- If the remote site is within the local calling area client will be charged the "client dial" rate.
Terms & Conditions:
Terms & Conditions can be obtained by submitting a Request for Service.
Availability & Commitments:
Please see our NCREN Video Quality Assurance Program for more information.
Request for Service:
ISDN Dial-Up sessions are scheduled by submitting a web request or calling a member of the NCREN Video Scheduling Team at 919-248-1999 Monday through Friday 8am-5pm.
Technical support during the session is available by calling NCREN Video Network Control at 919-248-1410.