MCNC, through its operation of the North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN), provides access to a variety of fiber optic based services for K-12 schools, community colleges, private and public universities, research and non-profit health care institutions, libraries, public safety offices, and state and local governments across the state of North Carolina. Services include Dark Fiber Leasing, Dark Fiber Indefeasible Right of Use (IRU), Point-to-Point Lit services and Custom Fiber Construction.
MCNC also offers dark fiber for IRU or short-term lease to commercial entities including broadband service providers, cable operators, wireless carriers and commercial businesses.
- Dark Fiber Leasing – provides the capability to use and the right to attach customer’s equipment to the ends of the designated MCNC dark fiber for a specified term. The dark fiber provided is without electronics or optronics, and is not “lit” or activated.
- Dark Fiber Indefeasible Right of Use (IRU) – provides for the exclusive and indefeasible right to use one, a pair, or more strands of MCNC dark fiber for up to 20 years for any legal purpose. This use is subject to the requirements of federal grants awarded to MCNC by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration. These include a federal security interest for all IRUs, and for IRUs of 6 strands of fiber or more certain provisions for nondiscrimination and interconnection use.
- Point-to-Point Lit services – provides a managed point-to-point Ethernet service via Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) at bandwidths up to 1Gbps between two locations through MCNC managed customer premise equipment at each site.
- Custom Fiber Construction – provides a managed service to build, connect, splice and test fiber when connecting to MCNC’s fiber backbone network.
- Build Your Own Fiber - Occasionally an NCREN constituent will request to connect fiber it owns directly to NCREN. This is typically done to lease Internet service access. When constituents owns their own fiber and want to connect to NCREN, MCNC will place our CPE on your premise so that our NOC can monitor and manage the Internet service. The details of the connection of constituent owned fiber will be designed by MCNC engineers. MCNC may allow different materials based on specific applications; however, they will need to be considered and approved by the MCNC Outside Plant team. Our preference would be for the end user to have the same fiber that MCNC used to expand NCREN. MCNC uses CommScope’s singlemode, gel-free, loose tube, armored fiber. The constituent will decide on the number of fibers in its cable. For a deeper dive about CommScope and its fiber specifications, please click here to see a fiber example that would be suitable to connect to http://www.commscope.com/catalog/broadband/2147483666/product_details.aspx?id=47422
Requirements of Service:
All MCNC constituents including public sector organizations are eligible for these services. In order to receive service, MCNC and you must sign an associated service contract; also you must provide the electrical power and space for any network equipment required at your locations.
MCNC offers dark fiber for IRU or short-term lease to commercial entities including broadband service providers, cable operators, wireless carriers and commercial businesses. This is the only service MCNC offers to commercial entities.
Please submit a request for service for more information.
Eligibility & Pricing:
All services may not be available in all locations.
MCNC will evaluate each request or opportunity on a case-by-case basis and will implement each request at MCNC’s sole discretion. MCNC intends to evaluate each request or opportunity based on MCNC’s sole determination as to feasibility, availability based on current and projected factors, impact on NCREN, any prior agreements applicable thereto, cost, and any other matters which MCNC deems relevant. If MCNC consents to any such direct fiber connection request, (a) the applicable customer shall provide fiber-related usage rights applicable to the subject fiber free of charge, and (b) the transaction shall be documented by adopting provisions from MCNC’s applicable contract forms, including, for example, provisions for use, access, maintenance, repair, fiber substitutions, relocations, and duties at termination.
Pricing is dependent upon customer needs and is developed on an individual case basis. MCNC will outline all costs including labor, materials and equipment required to connect, splice and test the dark fiber between demarcation points. “Demarcation points” for dark fiber are defined as the connection points between the MCNC-owned fiber and customer-owned fiber optic cable or peripheral equipment for the specific demarcation point(s) identified. Emergency repair and relocations of the fiber optic network, including the dark fibers, are an additional customer expense and shall be provided by MCNC or its contractor, subcontractor, or other designee in accordance with industry standards. As part of this service, MCNC will provide routine maintenance.
Terms & Conditions:
Point-to-Point Lit services and Build Your Own Fiber View the Terms & Conditions.
Please also view our Acceptable Use Policies (AUP).
Request for Service:
To inquire about new service, please submit a web request.
Technical support is available 24x7 by phone 877-GO-NCREN (877-466-2736) or by submitting a web request.