Access Service

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version


The North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN) Access Service provides a means for NCREN constituents to connect their end point to the nearest NCREN regional point-of-presence (RPoP). This is typically a Layer 2 metro-Ethernet service with circuits available at 10Mbps, 20Mbps, 50Mbps, 100Mbps, 250Mbps, 500Mbps, and 1Gbps. This service is typically bundled with Broadband IP Connectivity and/or Internet Service.

Requirements of Service:

In order to receive service, you must be a public sector organization, sign our subscription agreements and provide power and space for any required network equipment.

Eligibility & Pricing:

MCNC typically contracts with 3rd party service providers to procure circuits to connect to NCREN. MCNC is able to obtain and pass on savings through very attractive prices for the circuits. Each circuit is priced individually and requires the initiation of a service inquiry with the 3rd party service provider. The service provider will respond with availability, best completion date, and any applicable one time charges for construction. You must be a public sector organization in order to be eligible for this service.

NCREN pricing is dependent upon customer needs and is developed on an individual case basis. Please submit a request for service for more information.

Terms & Conditions:

View the Terms & Conditions.

Please also view our Acceptable Use Policies (AUP).

Availability & Commitments:

Each regional point-of-presence (RPoP) will be available 99.95% of the time calculated on a monthly basis.

Disclaimer: MCNC is only responsible for the network elements that we own and control. In many cases, service arrangements include elements owned and controlled by other parties. As an exception, MCNC is willing to consider other requirements on a case-by-case basis.

Request for Service:

To inquire about new service, please submit a web request.


Technical support is available 24x7 by phone 877-GO-NCREN (877-466-2736) or by submitting a web request.