Join the MCNC team to help support network architecture-based initiatives and development of next-generation data-network service offerings to be delivered on the North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN). MCNC, via its wholly-owned state-of-the-art fiber optic network, NCREN, supports North Carolina public K-12 schools, North Carolina public and private universities and colleges, North Carolina community colleges, healthcare, libraries, state and local government, non-profit organizations, and public safety, among others. We've created a dynamic work environment designed to provide our employees the freedom and support they need to achieve great things for the citizens of North Carolina and for their own future. You’ll also enjoy a competitive salary and an industry-leading comprehensive benefits package. This position will be located in the Research Triangle Park in North Carolina (not a remote/teleworker position) and reports to the Chief Network Architect.
The ideal candidate:
- Has 10+ years of progressive experience in data networking.
- Has 3+ previous years spent with a significant focus on designing data networks and/or developing data-network service offerings.
- Is a subject matter expert in one or more of the following technologies: TCP/IP, Carrier Ethernet (E-LINE, E-LAN), Routing, Switching, EoMPLS, VPLS, MPLS Layer 3 VPN, etc., IPv6, BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, QoS, Multicast, etc.
- Has a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, or equivalent experience/education.
- Has extensive experience with data networking at scale in large data network environments.
- Possesses outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Understands how to engineer solutions within the boundaries of budget and time constraints.
- Can create detailed reports, diagrams, system documentation, white papers, solution briefs, etc.
- Completes assignments on time or ahead of schedule.
- Is extremely detailed oriented, but does not lose sight of the big picture.
- Is the ultimate team player, but works independently as required.
- Is comfortable in a dynamic environment where priorities change as required to meet customer demand.
The ideal candidate may also have:
- Experience with DWDM-based optical networking.
- Experience with IOS XR, Junos.
- Internet Service Provider Experience.
- Experience with Network Function Virtualization, Software Defined Networks, and/or Network Automation.
- Experience with Linux/Unix.
- Experience with scripting languages.
- Participate in the support of MCNC/NCREN network operations by:
- Ensuring the quality of network device software.
- Ensuring the quality of network device configurations.
- Ensuring the security posture of network devices.
- Ensuring that best current practices for data networking are being followed.
- Participate in the creation of network device “bills of material.”
- Participate in the development of network device capital budgets.
- Participate in the development of data networking service offerings within the MCNC service development framework.
- Participate in proof of concept labs and associated activities.
- Participate in and/or lead the creation of technical responses to RFPs/RFIs/RFQs that MCNC is planning to respond to; technical sections of RFPs that MCNC may prepare; or the creation of technical requirements sections to RFPs/RFIs/RFQs that MCNC may issue.
- Participate in Pre-Sales Engineering activities as required.
- Represent MCNC at Research & Education focused events (national and local) as required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
MCNC is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the requisition number and position title.